St. Matthews Anglican Church - Exterior Restoration
Ottawa, Ontario

St. Matthew’s Anglican Church is a masonry building constructed between 1929 and 1931, to Gothic-Art Deco designs by Architect Cecil Burgess. For over 40 years, the Church received only periodic maintenance to the roofing and masonry. In 2003, RMA, with Chris Borgal of Goldsmith Borgal & Company Ltd., were engaged to undertake a building condition report and make recommendations for corrective work with estimated budgets. Deterioration was identified in the masonry walls, which also had mortar joints containing lead, in the bell tower structure, flashings, slate roof and woodwork. With the Corporation’s approval, phased restoration was planned and undertaken between 2004 and 2005 to restore the exterior masonry, rebuilding the bell tower, restoring wood work, flashings, partial slate roof replacement and replacement of stained glass protection.

2008 Certificate of Merit, Restoration - City Of Ottawa Heritage Awards More Information: http://www.ottawa.ca/residents/planning/built_heritage/oaca/2008_en.html

© 2011 Robertson Martin Architects | legal